“We can spin up new servers in a few minutes"
We have spoken with Martin Lund Hansen, Partner at JDM. Here, you can find out more about the reasons why JDM chose to outsource its data center to Cloud Factory.
WHY DID YOU CHOOSE TO OUTSOURCE YOUR DATA CENTER?
- We had run our own data center for many years. In 2021 we had to either replace the entire data center or outsource our data center and go cloud. Outsourcing our data center meant that we avoided a huge investment. Furthermore, we would be able to hand over responsibilities and operational resources to the chosen partner.
WHEN DID YOUR PROCESS START? AND HOW LONG DID THE MIGRATION TAKE?
- Approximately 1.5 years ago, we made the decision to outsource our data center and began to investigate the possibilities. We chose a local partner and started the migration with Cloud Factory in December 2021. By March 2022, we had migrated the last servers and shut down our old data center. The migration was efficient and without any obstacles.
HOW DID THE MIGRATION FROM YOUR OWN DATA CENTER TO CLOUD FACTORY'S DATA CENTER TAKE PLACE?- We wanted to have control over the migration ourselves, so that we could coordinate directly with our customers. One thing is to migrate a stack of servers, but in addition to servers, we had countless firewalls, remote VPN boxes, and various network equipment that also had to be managed. Fortunately, Cloud Factory helped us through it all. There was a common understanding that this was a big exercise, and we felt prioritized throughout the process.
WERE THERE CHALLENGES IN THE PROCESS?
- It is difficult to avoid any challenges completely. Cloud Factory solved the minor problems that arose along the way quickly. We have easy access to Cloud Factory's support team, so if things went wrong, I could call them in the middle of the night if necessary. At the same time, we got lightning-fast answers to all the things we came across in the process.
WHY DID YOU CHOOSE CLOUD FACTORY?
- We have many years of experience with hosting our customers' IT solutions, and thus some very clear requirements for a hosting partner. We were quite excited about the technical solution and process for the migration that Cloud Factory could provide. So, it was an easy decision to choose Cloud Factory for the task.
- Cloud Factory's approach is simple. We experienced high technical competence. Cloud Factory brought in their skilled network consultants who, together with ours, were responsible for the migration. The professional sparring means that we often find faster and effective solutions together.
WHY A LOCAL IAAS SOLUTION?
- We are a Microsoft house, so when Microsoft started going into the cloud, we were quick to pursue that journey on Azure, Windows servers, Intune, and Business Central. However, we also need the network to be close to the servers. Low data latency, easy administration, and local support is something you cannot do in the same way in Azure.
HOW DO YOU EXPERIENCE OPERATIONS AND COLLABORATION AFTER HAVING MIGRATED?
- In short, operations are running as they should. I can deliver cloud services much faster and better than before. For my customers, this means that they can get their services faster and that we can deliver a better product. For example, tests of disaster recovery, which we continuously carry out for our customers. We experience high technical competence from Cloud Factory, which has extensive experience with their service. The communication between us is professional and beneficial.
DO YOU GET FROM CLOUD FACTORY'S PARTNER PORTAL?
- Cloud Factory's Partner Portal is a modern and intuitive portal that is easy and simple to use. It requires no training for our consultants; they can easily log in and create a server, expand disks, or upgrade with more RAM. Most of my everyday tasks can be done directly in the portal. And if we need something more advanced, I just call support and get it fixed.
- We are also quite fond of the fact that we can have a dialogue and come up with good ideas for the Partner Portal. Most often, our wishes and needs are already part of their roadmap. There is a great willingness to listen to its partners, and that means a lot to us.
HAS BEEN THE BIGGEST BENEFIT OF SWITCHING TO CLOUD FACTORY?
- Previously, setting up and configuring a new server could take days. Today, we can do it from Cloud Factory's Partner Portal in a few minutes. This means that our customers get their services and solutions faster and with fewer errors.
- It has meant a lot to us to be able to remove the responsibility for running our own data center. Today, we have more time to focus on our core business. The administration for us has become much easier, and it gives a completely different flexibility for both me and our consultants.
- JDM is among Denmark's biggest suppliers of cloud-based Microsoft technology
- Over 650 companies are customers at JDM
- Approximately 80 employees
- Offices in the three biggest cities in Denmark; Odense, Aarhus and Copenhagen
Want to hear about the benefits of being a partner?
Dear IT partner. Get a fresh perspective on your set up. Who knows if it could get cheaper, better, or more fun with us?